Friday, October 13, 2006

Jack AGAIN



Not every drawing flows magically out of my hand, sometimes the idea in my mind gets stuck somewhere inbetween my head and hand and I get lost. It's ok, because I just pick up the pencil and keep trying until I'm satisfied. Sometimes it takes more effort to get something right, other times it just happens.

A couple days ago I did a quick sketch of Jack, and at first I was happy with it, well for a quick sketch anyways, and the more I looked at it the more something about it bugged me. I couldn't quite figure out what it was. I posted it on a couple forums so my colleagues and friends could see it and they too saw something off with it. That's ok, it happens, it's a good idea to let others with fresh eyes see your work, it helps to see your work from another's point of view. Anyways, I went back to the drawing board today and had another go at Jack, I am pleased with this version and I feel a weight has been lifted off my mind . . . whew!

6 Comments:

Blogger Larry Seiler said...

I see something of a writer in you as well!!! This could lead to a "How I Caricature" book someday!! 8^)

Good to read your processes and the struggle. Winston Churchill said that "success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm"

I think that adequately describes the commitment and journey to becoming good with one's art. Each effort having a small measure of success...each a small failure (at a young age especially in an artist's life), but the passion to do it drives thru and beyond the failings and eventually eliminates many of the obvious. In time, its a fine tuning..but great art always calls for biting off a bit more than one can chew...certainly more than others seem willing to chew.

Good for you!!! A great drawing as a result!

8:44 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you Dad, nothing really comes as easy as others sometimes think. I'm glad you like it, I'm happy with it, I think when painted I could even push it further, I think that I will someday?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

THIS is Jack Nicholson! I liked your other one as well, but this is much more on-target. The other one looked like Jack, but this one does that AND captures his personality. Great to see your father posting here too (and an artist too, from the looks of it). I don't think my parents know what a blog is!

4:37 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks Marco, I like this Jak, I will probably do something with this, we'll see? I've got other things in the mix right now, so it'll have to be put on hold for the time being. Yeah, I'm lucky to have a father who's an artist, and even luckier that he's as awesome as he is. Marco, I checked out your blog again, awesome studies man, really cool. I can't believe you do those out of your head, brilliant.

7:59 PM  
Blogger J. Nowland said...

Hey Jason.... great job on Jack... Just saw the Departed today.... and I would have to say.... it seems like Scorsese might be back on track... anyways.... I really like it... I also liked all the other things that have gone up in the last while.... You just posted too quick for me to keep up.... either way... keep pumpin' out the quality.... PEACE!
J

4:26 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks J, yeah, the Departed is awesome, I really want to see it again. I've done a couple other sketches of Kim Jong IL to explore his face a bit more, the first sketch is cool, just not interesting enough, my other sketches are much more fun, I'll post them soon.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners