Thursday, December 07, 2006

Bush, Bush, and Baker too!





Ok, I'm back again . . . been busy and not complaining! This Bush piece is my latest work, I've been asked to not mention who it was for, all I can say at this time is that it was done as a "shadow" cover for a weekly magazine in New York. It is possible that I will be a regular contributor to this magazine, but for now I am more or less trying out for the part. I was given the same assignment as one of their regular artists, they wanted to see how well I could do and if I could make the deadline. I am happy to say that I did in fact make the deadline, however it was rough. I was called Monday afternoon, around 4:00 p.m. and the final was due 9:30 a.m. Wednesday morning . . . youch! I hope that this story has a happy ending, I'd love to be one of their regular artists, for now here's the final image that I presented to them as well as a few close ups of the detail.

Also, I finished my work for Cracked issue #4, I'm very happy with the final results, I'll post that as soon as I can. This Saturday I will be speaking and doing a caricature study in front of a live audience at a Dick Blick's art supply store in Wheaton Illinois. It is an art appreciation day and there will be a few other artists speaking and doing demos as well. One artist in particular that I am excited to meet is illustrator Dave Dorman. You may have seen his work for DC comics, Marvel comics as well as Lucas film artwork, which includes posters for Star Wars movies. It will be a fun day! I'll post pictures next week!
Take care!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Incredible job Jason with a tight deadline.
Their loss if you do not become a regular artist.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Your painting is disgustingly good man! I'm geeking out on all the subtleties here - thanks for posting the detail shots! And yeah, if this doesn't land the job...it's certainly not for lack of skill. The only concern I'd have is that they'll expect you to work this fast every time ;)

6:00 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you Brian and Marco. Well, I'd have to work that fast everytime, that's about as much time as they give the artist. It is a weekly magazine, the assignment given late Monday afternoon, due Wed. morning.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scary good Jason! Not exactly being a Bush fan, scary, scary good! Decades (1969 through '71) ago I did political cartoons for a local newpaper and had 2 hour deadlines. It was just black and white work and Nixon was easy, but still...sometimes working like that brings out the best in you and you're better with caricatures and color than I ever was.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

yikes that is some good shit. dude your getting better and better

11:04 PM  
Blogger MattoMattia said...

Wow...Jason...Wow!!!!!

1:57 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. Carl, sounds like you've had some fun with your carreer, must of been a blast drawing Nixon. Im going to miss drawing Bush, that guy is so great to draw!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Tom R said...

Great stuff as always, Jason. You are really coming into your own with the painted illustration style.

9:44 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you Tom!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Chris Wahl said...

Awesome work, Jason. Great likenesses. Especially like daddy Bush.

4:54 AM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you Chris, I've been using the noise tip, not sure if you've noticed or not! Thanks again for the help!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Tom R said...

J- is the "Noise" tip where you add a little noise filter to the final PhotoShop painting to break up the digital slick feel? That's a fine idea, but it must be a very slight amount... what are the setting you used here, if you don't mind my asking?

9:57 AM  
Blogger sensei said...

Very Reakistic Just Great!!

7:20 AM  
Blogger jesukiran said...

excellent job,....details are really great

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesomely good...
If I can learn to paint what I do up quick...you can too, and that I have NO DOUBT !!!!

and I agree with Carl...that the spontaneity that speed sometimes mandates can hardwire your aesthetics to produce more naturally and with much ingenuity!

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners