Sunday, August 05, 2007

Basil Gogos




Two Days ago, I decided to have some fun and paint Basil Gogos, experimenting with a split-complimentary palette. I chose yellow-green as my dominant, so my splits were cadmium red and violet. The yellow-green is used as my yellow, red is red, and violet is my blue. I also used a touch of black and of course white. I found that using a split-complimentary palette helps to create harmony it also allowed me more control and I could paint much faster. It's a lot of fun especially when painting Basil Gogos!!

The man can paint! I was familiar with paintings of his, but didn't know who had done them. Recently I was given a copy of his book as a gift from the guys that I painted my Zombie Elvis for . . . they also somehow managed to get the book signed by Basil. I love looking through the book there's so many wonderful paintings and drawings, a lot can be learned for anyone who loves to paint. Anyways, I've decided that I'm going to give this original to Basil, a gift for his inspiration!

Painted all in one sitting, about six hours.

oil on panel, 9x12.

5 Comments:

Blogger Larry Seiler said...

awesome piece, kiddo!!!!

He'll absolutely love it, I'm sure!

wouldn't it be a kicker to find that a lot of the color he achieved in his work came from a similar palette and way to think about color!!!

Soon...you'll be having all kinds of artists asking you, "split-complementary palette? Waddaheckisdat?

Just say..."old school...old school!"

its awesome! Going to click on it and see it bigger now!

daaaahd

5:46 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Nice! That's one of my favorite palettes!

9:09 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Skin texture is terrific on this. Your understanding of the color wheel is exemplified in the end result. Finally this is just a plain fun, compelling piece. I saw the Monster Magazize artist's work at a show in L.A. last January. Awesome!

9:54 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thanks Dad, I'm so glad you took the time to explain the split-comp with me!

Fred, do you use this type of palette often?

Thank you Bill, I thought it was a funny idea, painting Gogos as one of his monsters, it's even more funny to me that he's smiling . . . he's a happy monster. That would have been cool seeing some of his originals. Wow!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Ryan Wood said...

Fantastic colors and some amazing painting. Nice work!!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners