Saturday, December 08, 2007

Mitt Romney for the Standard!








This is a piece I did this last week for The Weekly Standard. Same thing happened this week as with last weeks Henry Hyde piece. I first started on Wednesday with another portrait of a Senator (thumnail sketch shown below Mitt paintings). But that story was canned late that afternoon. Most of Thursday I spent doing a few sketches of Mitt Romney knowing he was who I was going to draw instead, but I didn't know yet what was wanted as far as pose or story. Honestly it took me a bit to get him right, he seems to look different in almost every reference photo that I have of him. But after seeing videos of him it didn't take long to get him right. Around 10:00 a.m. Friday morning, I was given the final idea for the piece . . . we wanted to show him standing cool, with the Mormon Temple in the background. Problem for me was that I only had one day to paint this, so the temple is a photo that I layered into the painting, absolutely no time to draw or paint that, took me all day to paint Mitt.

Done with the same technique as before, painted in grayscale, and then when fully rendered, I layer color on top of my values.

Currently on the drawing board is a full page illustration of Axl Rose for REVOLVER magazine.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger William K. Moore said...

Thanks Jason for disclosing your process and the pressure(s) surrounding it. Again amazing you can get it all put together under the gun.. or sword - take your pick. The background architecture is heavy, impressive and a bit forbodeing - perhaps the perspective. It all works together in a beautiful way.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Another stunning piece Jason! Funny how some people do look different more than others! I'm fascinated by the b/w underpainting - I always assumed digitally you went straight in with colour (I don't know why!) Great work

12:10 PM  
Blogger SEILER said...

Thank you Bill, your words are always so encouraging!

Thank you as well Tim. As far as what you assume, you are right. I do most of my work straight with color, I only do the black and white underpainting under seriously tight deadlines. It's a much faster way of doing it. After the grayscale value painting is complete it only takes a bit more to finish with color.

But you are right, most of my work, like the Guitar Player cover and the Hillary and Springsteen were all done straight with color, no black and white underpainting.

Hope this clears it up a bit. BTW, I'll get into this stuff in my schoolism course.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Francis Vallejo said...

you're a machine! Whenever I'm bogged down I just think, "Jason Seiler had probably finished 3 pieces by now!" haha

4:26 PM  
Blogger Ryan Wood said...

Thanks for sharing different stages and technique, fantastic work as usual!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Nathan Lindsay said...

I gotta try that values layer then color and see how that goes. Well done.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners