Monday, September 01, 2008

A blast from the past!




This past weekend my family drove up to Northern Wisconsin to visit my Mom, Dad and brother. My parents just moved into a new house, so they're going through old things, trying to organize and whatnot. Anyways, my Mom found an old wood carving that I did when I was 12 years old. I only did two carvings in my lifetime. This shark and a face on a walking stick. While carving the face on the walking stick I cut the tip of my middle finger off . . . it was stitched together just fine, but I haven't carved since.

I've always been obsessed with sharks, they are by far my favorite of all creatures! So at 12 I carved this Great White out of bass wood, and painted it with acrylics. Before this I illustrated a book full of sharks. I drew over 350 shark species, including side views, views from the bottom as well as drawing their teeth and labeling each page with they're common and latin names.

15 Comments:

Blogger Brett W. McCoy said...

Nice carving! Have you ever done any sculpture, like with clay?

9:10 AM  
Blogger RAWLS said...

So j.... 12 years old and already super talented eh?!?! haha... Great job my friend...its always a nice feeling to find these gems!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

You are a talented man Jason! Cool to see another side to your work!

4:11 PM  
Blogger ...Larry said...

hah...nice to see this put up here!

Deserving of kudos even way back then!

Enjoyed having you all home...wish we had time to paint, maybe next time.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome man! Let's see the book ;)

10:33 PM  
Blogger J. Anthony Kosar said...

Dude, That is crazy! Looks like a cast toy or something,... but better... and more anatomical! Very well done,... and only at 12? Nice!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Edo said...

You we're 12? jeeez!? Would like to see those drawings Jason! Very nice!

4:10 AM  
Blogger sensei said...

Energy used wisely.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

that's pretty friggin COOL man. And at age 12 too? Nice. At 12 I was still figuring out how to load a super soaker.

12:12 PM  
Blogger William K. Moore said...

Nice whittling work Jason. I saw an old B&W photo of two guys standing inside a great white's jaw bone - or I think I saw that... Sharks!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Nelson Santos said...

haha never play with sharks. Great stuff Jason.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Kelly Toon said...

one of my favorite schoolism moments was when you commented on the shark sketch I had done of you!!

That carving rocks. Does it float?

see ya in November!!

KT

3:13 PM  
Blogger Shawn Escott said...

Crazy story! Glad to hear you have your finger tip back. YIKES! The sculpture looks cool!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Taha Neyestani said...

12 years old???? ow my holly goodness .... its 100 times better than the toys you find in stores ... lets go home everybody

10:16 AM  
Blogger Vladimir Bursać said...

Wonderful carving, man!!!
And you were only 12 years old!
Congrats!
Best,
Vladimir

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners