Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Perot for D Magazine



Here's a very quick little Illo I did about a month ago for D Magazine. I know . . . the idea is a bit cliche, Perot with "Dumbo-like" ears in all . . . but it is what the mag requested. It helps that the art director is great to work with, and that goes a long way in my book. Life isn't all about me and how I can better serve myself. Sometimes you need to serve others in order to receive joy and sanity in this world? Know what I mean?

I don't know much about the actual story . . . all I know is that Perot has re-located EDS somewhere outside Dallas . . . ?

I didn't have as much time to spend on this piece as I would have liked. If I remember correctly, I was in the middle of two other commissions that were also due that same week. In these situations, I do what I can to simplify yet get the same idea across to the viewer that the a.d. wanted. It is important when I feel rushed that the work still maintains my "look" and "quality". To do this, I spend the most time on keep areas that I know the viewers eyes will look at first, like the eyes and hands . . . after enough time is spent there, I begin to simplify and pull back a bit.

I prefer spending more time on my sketches and planning of a piece, working out the composition and so forth . . . If I had more time, I would have done things a bit different, but for what it is, I had me some fun!

I've heard from the A.D. that the Editor and folks at the mag got a real kick out of it . . . to hear that always feels good. I guess the editor or someone at the mag knows Mr. Ross Perot and had a giclee print made and framed and then delivered to him for his birthday. Would love to see his reaction when seeing the cartoon I painted of him.

10 Comments:

Blogger Praveen said...

lol, that's cool

earwings...

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Love the hands in this piece, really like hearing about the process and how it is working with editors. Thanks for letting us in your world for a moment, hope you and your family have a great holiday!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Adrian Lubbers said...

Very Cool.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool. And maybe a new customer as well. Didn't Fluharty have an original painting bought by John Bolton?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Miguel Garrido said...

Very elegant the design and composition!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Caricature Girl said...

I like hearing what you focus on in preparation for your work.
~Cathy

1:30 AM  
Blogger Paul Moyse said...

Yeah, weird concept, but done in your usual professional manner. Certainly a 'Seiler' piece!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Eugen Caitaz said...

Hihihi! Awesome!!!! It's like Amerikan elephant!!!!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Haitao Su said...

Hi Jason, You are always constantly awesome works, you are the most talented artists, my friend, wish you have a wonderful holiday!

9:47 AM  
Blogger mrityunjay said...

wow!
superb jason.
merry christmas.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners