Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Cover for the New York Observer



Just finished this cover for the NY Observer. This cover was exciting to do, because I have known of the Observer for years, not for the articles, but for the caliber of artists that they are known for using on their covers. Artists who I have admired since I was quite young, such as Philip Burke, Steve Brodner, and Drew Friedman. What made doing this even more special for me personally was that Steve Brodner recommended me for the job. That means a lot to me, as I have been a fan of Steve's for years and consider him one of the all time greats! If you read this Steve, thank you, you made this young artists week!



Typical to most deadlines I get these days, I only had two days from start to finish. I was contacted last Friday but was working on another job. And because of the Easter holiday, I wasn't able to work on the weekend as I was enjoying family time.

So I woke early Monday morning, did a few sketches, waited for approval and then painted like a mad-man, the final was due by the end of the day Tuesday. In order to make deadlines like this, I have to plan my time well. I decided I would dedicate Monday to painting their faces and a bit of the block in of the bodies. This gives me Tuesday to focus on the hands, bodies and finishing touches. I had until 5:00 P.M. and used every minute I had . . . finishing at 4:57 P.M.

21 Comments:

Blogger Nigel said...

... lovely work, Jason - and really nice hands...

9:16 AM  
Blogger Niall O loughlin said...

World class Jason, love the translucent effect you've achieved lately with your skin tones, amazing!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

WOw Jason this is incredible! You are right up there in the calibre artist field that you talked about, I am just amazed at your talent Jason! The skin tones and hands is just out of this world, wow! Bravo Jason!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Михаил Юрьевич Нейман said...

That is really cool !

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Eugen Caitaz said...

Bravo jayson! You know, in my country, we celebrate Easter----40 days! So...Happy Easter!!!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that's a whole lot of wrinkles!! Outstanding work!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Carlos Rubio said...

WOW amazing work! ...you deserve to be among the artist of the NY observer, congrats!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally focsed on the hands too--so life-like.
thanks for the beautiful job!
nancy (the AD for the NYO)

10:06 AM  
Blogger ian said...

ditto what Niall and Jonathan said, lately you've taken the skin to new levels. Translucent is right, can't describe it better. I think I see some faint white hatching in there that may be more prominent than in the past? Whatever it is its even more realistic lately than the previous awesomeness.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Eric Zampieri said...

Amazing!

10:44 AM  
Blogger pol serra said...

awesome!
dammit! how much quality! congrats!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Rodney Pike said...

Beautiful work!!!!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Brendan... said...

Jason,

One of your best mate! Love the skin tones and how real the faces look. Superb textures.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

GREAT AS USUAL!!!

4:05 PM  
Blogger kencoogan said...

Jaw-droppingly good! I'm running out of superlatives here......

6:24 PM  
Blogger LarsEr Arts said...

Yeah I can tell you are having some underpainying in greenish blue tones, and a lot of layering, real masterful technique. Just one week and you have to work with me on Schoolism Ohh yeah!

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Lucas said...

Omg! Is it possible to be soo good?

1:42 AM  
Anonymous theb said...

Brilliant work ! I especially admire your speed, strategy and self control.

2:21 AM  
Blogger echi said...

Hey Jason,

when you say painting, for this job, was it digital, acrylic or ....? As always, great work.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Dominic Philibert said...

And again. . Awesome my friend!! :)

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners