Thursday, March 17, 2011

Moleskine gouache sketch



Fun with gouache! This is a fairly quick gouache study of Jack Lawrence in my moleskine watercolor sketchbook. This past year I saw some gouache studies that Sean Cheetham had done in his sketchbook and it looked like so much fun, I had to have a go at it as well. I've only messed with gouache a few times but never really played with it too much. I really had fun with this and plan to do a lot more. If you don't know Sean's work, you should check it out, he's an awesome painter!



A shot with my hand to show you the scale . . . this is a fun size, easy to carry around.



Detail . . . I love letting the medium act and react naturally, let it happen . . .



I also did a quick sketch of George . . . this was done with watercolor.

13 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Domingos said...

Olá, Jason!
Muito bons, os seus estudos.

10:53 AM  
Blogger duanetheartist said...

Really nice work! I really like that impasto look from the whilte on the gouache painting!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Loic said...

Hi Jason,

Very cool stuff again.
Now I obviously want to reconsider the Gouache+sketchbook combo.

That portrait is great, the composition is really cool too. Good rhythm.
And of course, your George Lucas Kung Fu is not to be proven anymore ;)

Cheers,
Z.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Tim Wilmsen said...

Hi Jason, I'd rather see your traditional paintings then digital work. But that does not mean I do not dislike your style! It's just that little bit more! Tim

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Greg said...

Nice to see some gouache from you! Will you continue using it? Nice sketch Jason!!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Tim Wilmsen said...

Gouache is a very nice medium to work with! If you have a good quality paper to work on, it's a pleasure to work with!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Ramin said...

you're work inspires me. Thanks for sharing!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Marvin Lorenz said...

Just beautiful work Jason! I love your traditional work! I know Sean's work and it's just awesome! This sketch is superb..would love to see some more of these in the future! Man you make lookin it so easy:D Congrats

3:08 PM  
Blogger ...Larry said...

nice...to me, they seem to act a bit like oils do..and are fun

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice scale shots with the hand. :) Great job.

11:00 AM  
Blogger IcedWings said...

The gouache sketch is awesome! Very good picture :)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Dominic Philibert said...

Nice man!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love your style and it's amazing how you fit that amount of detail on such a tiny canvas. Do you have very small brushes?

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All artwork © JasonSeiler 2006 unless otherwise stated. All characters are copyright to their respective owners